I just bought a new mobile phone “Galaxy S III” a few days ago. Tonight this was my first time tried to connect my android mobile phone to my computer. Under normal conditions, the USB device should be recognized while it is plugged in and instantly mounted on my computer, but the message told me that MTP USB device driver was not successfully installed.
The Media Transfer Protocol is described by Microsoft, who introduced it, as a protocol for intelligent storage devices based on and compatible with Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP). Not only my Samsung Galaxy Phone i93o0, my friends’ Iphone and Sony Xperia both have the same problem, too. After googling for many hours, I finally found an easy way that can fix the MTP USB driver issue. Just follow the steps below:
Fix MTP USB Device Driver Problem
Method 1 – Install MTP Porting Kit
(1) Download MPT (Media Transfer Protocol) Porting Kit and then install it to your computer. You can download the MPT Porting Kit installation file through the Microsoft’s official website directly (download link here), or read this post to get more details about MPT Porting Kit.
(2) Reboot your computer.
(3) Reconnect your mobile phone to your computer by using the USB cable.
Method 2 – Update MTP USB Device Driver
(1) Go to Device Manager, under Portable Devices, right-click on MTP USB Device, and then click on Update Driver Software to update the MTP USB device driver.
(2) Select “Browse my computer for driver software” to locate and install MTP USB device driver software manually.
(3) Select “Let me pick from a List of device drivers on your computer”. The list will show installed driver software compatible with the device.
(4) Select the driver you want to install and then click “Next”. Reconnect your mobile phone to your computer.
Method 3 – Download MTP USB driver from the Manufacturer
If the ways method 1 and method 2 both can not solve the MTP USB device driver Problems. You may look for the MTP USB driver on the device manufacturer’s website.
Learn More about MTP USB Driver Update:
How to Fix MTP USB Device Driver Problem in Windows 7
Media Transfer Protocol
Related Post of How to Fix MTP USB Device Driver Problem for Samsung Galaxy S III, S IV, Note, etc